Friday, October 1, 2010

The search

C&A and McDonalds
I can't count the number of times I've heard the words 'when Poland was a real country.'  Sean studied in Czestohowa for a year in 2001, before Poland was infiltrated by tourists and globalisation.  Apparently things have changed!  In the 3 weeks I've been in Torun, I've ate in a cafe owned by an American guy, found the local Indian, been shown the English speaking travel agents and met scores of English folk.  Not only that, but even when I use my (somewhat limited) Polish on an unsuspecting taxi driver, shop worker or passer-by, the response invariably comes in English.  Torun is a very progressive place, and from what I've seen much of Poland is too; it's fantastic, but it's always a shame to see a country's ways and traditions erode under the influence of globalisation.  I thought living in Poland would be quite a challenge, but after just 3 weeks in I've settled into a very comfortable normality.  Too easy!  Real Poland certainly does still exist, I just need to find it.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right, real Poland does still exist, but from my experience the pure facets of it are getting smaller and smaller.
    Real Poland still exists under this facade of western style culture, it'll never die completely, but it will unfortunately become more and more subtle and difficult to recognise.

    ReplyDelete