Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gniezno Part 1

Old town circle - car boot sale
Gniezno was Poland's first capital city, and if you are to believe the legend of Lech, Czech and Rus, it was the site of the very beginning of Poland.

It was quiet when I arrived in Gniezno this morning, I realised that about 90% of the population were in church with it being Sunday morning, and the other 10% were hosting an antiques/car boot sale in the old town circle.  Oddly enough there was also an avon cosmetics stall there, which served to remind me of the Western influence right across Poland.

St Adalbert's reliquary
I wandered down to the Cathedral which is Gniezno's top tourist attraction.  It's a real treasure-hove, with so much to see and everything made with such intricate detail - the famous bronze doors and St Adalbert's reliquary are definitely worth seeing.

Gniezno town centre is quite small but packed with churches and a few nice parks.  After walking around the centre I took a walk round Jezioro Jelonek to find the Museum of the Origins of the Polish State but unfortunately it was closed for refurbishment.  I think there's plenty more to see in Gniezno and I'll happily go back and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment