Saturday, October 16, 2010

One hair cut please..

When you're new to living abroad, and haven't mastered the language of the country in which you live, you find challenges in the simplest of tasks.  I was quite nervous about getting my hair cut in Poland for the first time; obviously any miscommunication could lead to a complete hair disaster, so I rehearsed the phrase chciałabym obćiąć włosy in preparation for my first trip to the hairdressers.  Obviously, after telling them that you've gone to the hairdressers for a hair cut, there are still plenty of things to say to make sure you get what you want.  My first problem was that I didn't know the word for appointment, so I told them I had a reservation for a hair cut at 11 when I got there, then there was all sorts of pointing and scissor gestures and me saying things like wszystko tutaj and tosamo długość which seemed successful enough.  Still, when she started chopping away I was quite apprehensive but I thought it's too late now!  I emerged one hair cut later, pretty happy with the result.  Mission accomplished.

1 comment: