Thursday, November 11, 2010

Independence Day

11/11/10; fallen soldiers are remembered all over Europe.  In Poland, we are celebrating Independence Day.  On this day in 1918 Poland regained independence after spending 123 years divided by Russia, Prussia and Austria-Hungary.

There are a lot of Polish flags about; on buses, hanging from balconies, and from every lamppost and many of the buildings in the old town.  I went to a memorial service at the Józef Piłsudski statue; he's the guy responsible for reclaiming Poland's independence and he became the Head of State at the time.  Despite the awful weather there was a really good turnout, I enjoyed watching the parade and being among so many people commemorating their history.

4 comments:

  1. Good of you to be there...did you see the little tanks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what attracted me, I heard a number of loud shots when I was walking through the old town and found the service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polish Independence day is so boring, I've been here for two now and it's like pulling teeth, I wish they'd make a party out of it like Paddy's Day or Brazilian carnival.

    Y'know I understand remembering fallen soldiers and all that jazz, but surely it'd be better served to celebrate the Polish-ness of the people and celebrate what makes them different from other European.

    I did party though this year, after I finally talked my mates into going out...they loved it in the end and we promised to make it an annual event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your point but the Poles don't seem to go particularly crazy for any of their holidays, patriotic but still quite sombre, maybe that's what makes them different?

    Having said that independence seems a perfect thing to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete