Sunday, November 21, 2010

Anti-social behaviour

Being sat on a train for 3 hours with a group of wasted lads making a lot of noise, playing songs on their mobiles and standing in front of people trying to get past them is something that I expect to happen in Liverpool, not in Poland.  They were getting progressively more intimidating and as time went by more and more people left the carriage to find seats elsewhere on the train, we were all relived when they left.

Since coming to Poland I have been surprised at the level of alcohol fuelled anti-social behaviour; of course I knew the Poles enjoyed the occasional vodka... but I thought they could handle it better and I really believed that drunken yobs were a product of the UK.  On a number of nights out I've seen teenagers carrying their mates around that can't walk, people squaring up to each other, bloody noses, people being sick in the street and so on.  Of course it isn't on the same scale as anything like I've seen in Wigan or other places, but it does exist here.

My impression was that in Europe people drank more, but they could take more, and just enjoyed alcohol socially rather than as a tool to get completely drunk like many people seem to aim for at home.  So, I was wrong about the Polak's, turns out alcohol has the same effect on us wherever we happen to drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment