Friday, March 4, 2011

Tłusty czwartek

An excellent day here in Poland, on 'greasy Thursday' the Poles eat doughnuts from breakfast until supper. Tłusty czwartek marks the end of the carnival period in Poland. Next Thursday will fall into Lent, which is traditionally a far more solemn and sombre time in which Poles remember (as do many people all over the world) Jesus' suffering for 40 days and 40 nights.

I only ate 2 doughnuts today, a pitiful show. One of the lads in my class had already had 10+ by 5pm and he didn't intend to stop there. I think I prefer the English tradition of pancake Tuesday before Lent begins, but I guess everyday is pancake day in Poland.

1 comment:

  1. last year I managed 17 on the actual day, I was going for 24, one for every hour of the day but I didn't achieve this until the Friday. This year I intended to beat my record but I completely forgot about the tradition, woke up late and couldn't manage to claw back the lost hours.

    I find that when you reach 11, your body enters some sort of sugar induced 'block' making it really difficult to push on for more.

    But hey, there's always next year ;)

    ReplyDelete