Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sępólno Krajeńskie

I've spent the weekend visiting a friend in Sępólno Krajeńskie, a tiny little town with only 9000 people a few hours away from Torun.  A lot of Poles live in little villages like this one, although I was told it isn't a village, it's a small town - it's so small that it only takes 20 minutes to walk around the whole place.  Outside of the big cities Poland is really quite sparse, full of forests and fields with sporadic collections of colourful houses along the roadside.

In Sępólno I was surprised to see that the lake was still frozen solid in mid-March; the residents took advantage by fishing, dog walking and even cycling on it.  I've heard of a man walking on water before but cycling?

Dominika's family were lovely and they made me feel very welcome in their home.  Polish hospitality is truly second to none.  It was great for me to see a Polish family at home and enjoy some home cooked food, which was all fantastic; we had a full continental spread for both breakfast and supper as well as cooked food and cakes too.  I get the impression that family meal times are very important and I think Polish women in general are excellent cooks; it seems to be something they do often and take pride in.  I don't know if Polish men cook at all, it definitely seems to be the woman's job but a wise choice going by the food.  A big thanks to Dominika and her parents for letting me stay, I hope to see you again soon.

1 comment:

  1. It is really lovely to read this all nice things about your weekend in our hope. I also think we spend lovely days together and my family and I hope to see you again :) Dominika xxx

    ReplyDelete