Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Titbits

Here are a few things I've found a little strange since coming here:
  • Poles don't cross their fingers, they hold their thumbs.
  • Polish dogs don't say 'woof woof', they say 'how how'.
  • Polish men have three goals in life; plant a tree, build a house and make a boy.
  • Polish karaoke is taken very seriously.
  • Poles eat pasta with strawberries and cream but many think carrot cake is weird.
  • Plug sockets aren't very firmly attached to walls and often spark when you plug something in - scary!
Anyone care to add?  Or anything you find strange about us English folk?  I've heard that us taking 2 painkillers at once is found strange, the Poles take one at a time.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know, the goals of a Polish man sounds like all men. Except I think the planting of a tree is sort of like keeping a part of themselves around for the future. There is an old, I mean, really really old European tradition with that, and in some places, it's a rite of passage.

    I have never experienced Polish Karaoke (thankfully).

    Poles tend to drink coffee in the afternoon, with tea starting the day instead.

    The rooster says Koo kirikookoo! If you have ever listened to one, it does sound like that!

    I know there are more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People don't build their own houses in England, I haven't heard anything similar coming from anyone I know so figured it was a Polish thing. There must be more :-)! I find it strange when Poles buy just one can of beer, it would always be at least 2 at home, but probably a pack of 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Karaoke is taken very seriously xD Am Polish and never been to one :>

    For me, when I traveled West, the strangest part were eating habits. We have a saying that "breakfast should be royal, dinner - ceasar's and supper - beggar's". So we eat rather big breakfast (compared to the ones I ate with "my" family in France), then second breakfast (usually a sandwich or a youghurt), then - around 2 pm or 4-6 pm if working during the day - we eat a big dinner and then around 7-9 pm we eat a little supper, something light. It's believed that it's not healthy to eat much late. But on the west you eat a little breakfast, then bigger lunch (or, in French case, le dejeuner) which for us could constitute the whole dinner, and then, in the evening, even bigger dinner. Strange.

    I can't remember more just now, but there's definitely more ;)

    ReplyDelete