Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Quiet Life

I guess I haven't been up to much lately.  At least I've done nothing I've felt was exciting enough to post about, but I've found a new contentment in my quiet, day to day living.  Spring is well and truly here, the days are getting warmer and longer and I feel like Poland has never been so beautiful.  I've stopped hurrying here and there and developed a stroll.  I guess I've stopped trying, stopped searching, and Polish life has found me instead.

I'm still aware and becoming ever aware of the differences between life here and at home, but the lightening bolts of information that I had when I first arrived have become dawning realisations.  I feel much healthier than I used to and I hope when I get back to England I keep the mentality I seem to have adopted unknowingly here.  I walk every day; if there is anywhere to go it's generally my feet that take me there, and while I still snack often and pig out occasionally, food isn't the same issue here that it is in England.  I've lost 9lbs without trying.  I also drink more, much more! Which of course isn't so healthy but it certainly is Polish; piwo z sokiems and 4 o clock finishes are becoming habitual.

The differences are very subtle.  I don't feel like I'm in a strange place or able to make any strong cultural comparisons, but things seem to go at slightly a slower pace here which is nice.  Shopping on the market, buying fruit and veg from locals who grow their own food on their allotments, teenagers roller-blading along and 80 year olds on bicycles are normal, everyday occurrences.  I hope I'll always see and still appreciate these kinds of things when I come back to Poland in the future, because even though it isn't so different, I can't stop noticing these tiny little day to day things, and they really brighten up my quiet life.

No comments:

Post a Comment