Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Swięta czas

It's Christmas!!!!.. nearly - at least it's the Christmas season.  There's a huge tree at Nicolas Copernicus statue, festive lights lining the streets of the old town and sporadic angels made with Christmas lights.  Overall though I'd say Christmas is quite understated here in Poland, at least in comparison to the UK where Christmas is thrown in your face from October onwards; the radio stations aren't flooded with Christmas songs and I haven't seen a single tacky house that looks like the Christmas spirit has been sick all over it.  There are just a few subtle little touches reminding us of the time of year, a very happy medium.

I was told that the shops don't over advertise at Christmas, the people don't appreciate it and it would more likely turn them away than encourage them to spend.  The only big difference I have noticed is in the amount of chocolate on display in all the supermarkets, there are millions of chocolate santas!

I'll be back in the UK for Christmas, I can't wait because I really don't fancy the Polish traditional Christmas meal of cold fish.  I'm looking forward to the turkey dinner, being flooded with Christmas songs and of course the tacky decorations!  Merry Christmas all... Wesołych Świąt.

No comments:

Post a Comment